Step 3 Questions:
1. What is installation art?
Installation art is art that is installed or placed somewhere, it could be anywhere. Sometimes the installation is made specifically for a location and sometimes it isn’t. The installation can be inside or outside and use any type medium for design. Most of the time the installation isn’t permanent and is taken down or destroyed with time.
2. What materials are used installation art?
Any type of materials can be used for installation art. Sometimes it is just cloth, sometimes it is natural elements like ice, any other times ordinary items like a bed, or a shovel.
3. Why make installation art?
You create installation art to allow the viewer to interact with the art. They can walk around it and experience art in a new way. They become engaged in the art experience and can be a part of the work of art. Sometimes installations are created to get the viewer to just think of art differently and get a person to think outside of what you typically think of as art.
4. Which artist/installation did I find most interesting
I like Yayoi Kusama is my favorite installation artist that I have seen so far. I just loved how she used the symbol of the dot on everything. She would put it on the walls, ceilings, floors and everything that was in the room. It was just so mesmerizing and captured my attention.
Step 4 Questions:
1. From the material reviewed, is there an inspiration piece that I feel a connection with?
No, I wouldn’t say that there was a specific inspiration. I was just thinking about where and what I might want to do when my idea came to me. I feel that children spend too much time inside playing video games and eating junk food. I thought that it would then be a good contrast between all these items used inside without any positive aspect on their health and a gym where you typically go to exercise.
2. What theme do I want to explore in my installation? Refer to your textbook if you need to review Themes of Art.
The theme of my installation is mass media battling against oneself. Mass media is always promoting new technologies and fast foods. To keep yourself healthy and in shape you have to be able to say no to these temptations and it can be a constant battle between the two.
3. What materials will I use?
I will use different types of leisure activities that keep us in the house and inactive. I will also use different containers of junk foods and fast foods that are not good for us when over used.
4. Where will this installation be located and why?
It will be located inside of an empty gym. I want it in an empty gym for it to prove a point, that people aren’t using this gym to exercise because they are too busy at home using the items located on the gym floor.
Description and Analysis:
My installation is located inside of a gym in the center of the gym floor. The gym is empty, no one is using it to work out and no one is practicing any sports. Many people walk through the gym, but merely to get to another room in the building. In the center of the gym floor are many items that occupy our time and can prevent us from being motivated to exercise. There are many technology related items, such as cell phones, gaming systems and a computer case. There are also things that aren’t healthy for us and slow us down, like pop and candy. The installation is in the center of the floor because often times these things are at the center of our lives, and our health is often pushed to the sidelines. In my installation the art principles I see the most vividly are unity and balance. They are all things that are different and spread around the floor randomly, but yet they are all still related to each other. There are also a variety of elements used such as space, color and texture. There are so many things to look at that your eye doesn’t just focus on one area.
What are your thoughts on the planning and creation of a site specific installation?
I enjoyed thinking of a specific location I wanted to house my installation. I think that it gives it more meaning because you are then thinking where your installation might work and be understood best. I liked having the freedom of creating where and what I wanted to be displayed.
I enjoyed thinking of a specific location I wanted to house my installation. I think that it gives it more meaning because you are then thinking where your installation might work and be understood best. I liked having the freedom of creating where and what I wanted to be displayed.




No comments:
Post a Comment