Sunday, November 6, 2011

Week 10 - Mask Creation



I choose this mask because of its colorfulness, yet simplicity.  The mask caught my eye and even though there are some different things going on it doesn’t seem to be too much.  This mask is from Colombia, South Africa.  You see a face that is colored into six different sections that are colored, brown, green, pink, red and blue.  The top of the mask is painted yellow and there are indents/carving out of the top of the mask to make it look wavy.  There is a mouth open with teeth and a mustache above it.  Around the eyes are painted white and there are white and black stripes in lines of three on different locations on the mask.  Color is definitely used in the masks to allow your eye to concentrate on different areas.  The use of line breaks up the masks and doesn’t allow your eye to stay in one spot for any long period of time.  I also think that line is used in the black and white lines that are arranged in lines of 3 that add focus to the mask.  Even though the mask doesn’t have symmetrical balance it does had asumetrical balance.  Variety was definitely used while creating this mask, yet it still comes together in unity. 
I chose this mask because I thought that is was cool.  I loved how it was shaped like an animal and had those extra pieces off the side of the mask.  I also really liked the simplicity in the color, yet it was still detailed in the design.  The mask is an African mask that is shaped like a wolf.  The use of the color red adds dramatic attention to the center of the mask, around the eyes and nose.  The black add contrast to the white mask and adds detail in the ears and the hair of the wolf.  They use shape and line in creating the decorative swirls around the face of the mask.  That allows our eye to move freely among the mask and keeps our eyes in constant motion.  The mask is symmetrically balanced and has great unity in the color and design. 
I chose this mask because I liked the creature that you can see on the head of the mask.  I enjoyed looking at the detailing around the forehead and cheekbones.  I liked how it had some use of color but not too much that it was overwhelming.  The shape of the eyes also interested me.   This is an African mask that has a oval shape to it.  The eyes are slanted and the eye lids are large and high above the eyes.  There is detail work across the forehead and the cheek bones.  The mask itself is predominantly red and appears to be made of wood.  There is some type of reptile on the forehead of the mask.  Both the eyes and the mouth are both colored black.  Even though this mask is not exactly symmetrical it does have a good sense of symmetrical balance.  There is variety and unity in the detail work along the mask because even though it is detailed and unique it brings the whole piece together.  The texture of the mask appears to be smooth with some caring around the mouth and eyes.  The use of black on the eyes and mouth really adds emphasis to these parts of the mask.  The color choice of red is also interesting because red often represents love, anger or fear.  The mask also displays a nice use of space, nothing appears to be too crowded.




I definitely used unity and variety in my mask.  I created a mask that was busy and had a lot going on, but it all still came together to create one piece.   I used a bunch of color in my mask as well.  I thought that the color added excitement and depth to the mask.  The color really kept the mask alive and kept the eye moving around it.  The mask isn’t exactly symmetrical, but it definitely has a sense of balance to it.  The mask is proportioned to be worn on anyone’s face, it isn’t overly large or too small.  I enjoyed making the mask and am very pleased with my final project.  There were some changes from my sketch to my final project though.  In the sketch I originally thought that I would keep the paper that went up and over the feathers, but once I began assembling it I decided I didn’t like it and cut it off.  Also, after I cut out the pieces for the eyes to see through I noticed you could see the white paper through the eye holes, so I had to color around the eye holes pink to help it blend better.  Overall, a fun and informative project!

No comments:

Post a Comment