Saturday, December 10, 2011

Week 15 Self Portrait

Rembrandt Harmensz
1658
Oil on canvas
Height : 133.70 cm
Width : 103.80 cm


 Arnold Böcklin

1872
Oil on canvas
Height : 75.00 cm
Width : 61.00 cm


Vincent van Gogh
1887
Oil on board
Height : 40.80 cm
Width : 32.90 cm

Stephanie Mongielo
Self Photograph
Stephanie Mongielo
Collage
Self Image
2011


1. Why did you select the inspiration pieces?
I chose these pieces because they all had a mysterious feeling to them.  Each piece was unique yet had certain aspects in common with the other pieces.  I chose Arnold Böcklin piece because I liked that he depicted death in his self portrait, because I feel as if it makes it more realistic.  It is the truth of life, that death is always around the corner and we’ll never know exactly when it will come.  I chose Rembrandt Harmensz because his hat interested me; actually both Rembrandt Harmensz and Vincent van Gogh both depicted themselves in their self portraits with a hat on.  I found this very interesting because when I think of people drawing a self portrait I generally don’t think of the accessories that they add to the work. 


2. Why did you select the media to create your self-portrait?
I decided to make a collage because I felt as if it was the best way to represent different sides of myself.  I also wanted to give it an abstract feel.  I enjoyed making the collage too, looking for different pictures and segments to put together to get the look I wanted.  It took me awhile of pairing up pictures and adds to decide which pictures worked best together.
3. What challenges did you face in creating your self-portrait and how did you overcome them?
The challenges I faced was finding the proper images that I felt fit together and created the look that I was going for.  I had to match up different images and rearrange the ones I liked until I created an image that was satisfying to me.  
4. How does this piece represent you?
The piece represents me because it shows me in different ways.  It shows that I’m unique and original, yet still in touch with reality and modern style.  
5. What elements and principles of art did you apply in this work?
I used a variety of elements and principles in my work.  You can see how I used variation in the different sizes, colors and shapes of paper I used to create the collage.  Yet, my piece still comes together with unity because it still in away is symmetrical because I have two eyes, ears, a nose etc.  This piece also uses color to draw attention to various parts of the piece.  I also used shape to create my facial expressions and I used line to create an interesting dynamic to the piece, which helps keep the viewer interested.  
6. Did you enjoy working on this project?
I did enjoy working on this project.  I found it fun to really think about and explore different ways of representing myself.  Not only did I have to represent myself as I am today, but how I see myself in the future as well.  I enjoyed looking at and rearranging different images to decide what I liked the best, and what represented me the best.
7. What do you think of your final artwork?
I’m proud of my final artwork.  I think it is well put together and does a good job at representing who I am.  It is unique and original yet, still can relate to everyone who views it.  I think that all together my project is a great representation of who I am as a person and who I desire to become.  

No comments:

Post a Comment